Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Spread Picking Competition: Week 3

First of all, I'm going to get this out of my system for Sarah...J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets! The defense looked awesome again and I am excited to see how the season plays out. A few reactions from last week's picks: I have taken the lead over Sarah, whose picks can be found at her blog http://realwomenwatchfootball.blogspot.com, which might be the only time it happens all year long. The Titans, Redskins, and Packers were all severe disappointments for me, as I expected all to win their games handily, yet the former and latter lost, while the Redskins eked out a win over the hapless Rams. The theme of the week was riding the underdog, as the only favorites to cover were Minnesota, Atlanta, San Francisco, Buffalo, Denver, and Indianapolis, with an astonishing nine underdogs winning the game outright! Hmm, this competition gets tougher every single week. We know the teams better through two weeks, and know that some of them are desperate, so on to the picks, taken from here (my pick is bolded, as always):

Tennessee (+2.5) at New York Jets

I hate seeing these two teams play. It pits my favorite player (Chris Johnson) against my favorite team. Factor in that Chris Johnson leads my fantasy team into battle each week, and I want to see him have a big game. Yet, I'm rooting against the Titans so that the Jets can go to 3-0. Additionally, the Titans are one of those "desperate" teams, and an 0-3 hole could more or less end their season. The Jets are still riding high after an emotional (and it was emotional, ask Sarah) win over the Patriots, and I think they lose this one at home.

Jacksonville at Houston (-4)

The Cardinals were 0-5 last year in games played on the East Coast, losing by an average score of 40-20. Seeing as how the Jaguars hosted the Cardinals last week and essentially rolled over and died (a 31-17 loss, a game they trailed 31-3 at one point), I think they have given up already, which is fitting because their fan base gave up on them before the first home preseason game.

Kansas City (+9.5) at Philadelphia

I know, I know, Kansas City is very, very bad, and they're on the road. Crazy, right? Not necessarily, since Matt Cassel has had a week to play in the system, Philadelphia will almost assuredly be without Donovan McNabb again (Kevin Kolb hasn't looked great), and Kansas City, despite being 0-2, has been remarkably resilient and competitive.

Cleveland at Baltimore (-13.5)

The Ravens might be the AFC's best team. The Browns are still reeling after this. I'm 2-0 with the Ravens, so I'm sticking with them.

New York Giants (-6.5) at Tampa Bay

If I were to choose a lock of the week, this one would be it. The Giants are really, really good. The Buccaneers are just plain terrible, proving that by getting shellacked by the hapless Buffalo Bills. The Giants will get up by a lot early and coast to a 3-0 start.

Washington at Detroit (+6.5)

Which Washington team shows up? The one who played the Giants close in Week 1 or the one who nearly lost to the Rams in Week 2? I think the Lions have a legitimate shot to turn this guy back into his old self.

Green Bay (-6.5) at St. Louis

Well, either Green Bay is worse than we thought or the Bengals are better. More likely is a combination of both. Chad Ocho Cinco's celebration should light a fire under the Packers the way it did to the Green Bay fan who gave us all a very nice showing of his middle finger on national television. It doesn't hurt that they get to play the worst team in football either.

San Francisco (+7) at Minnesota

Yes, here I am picking against the great Adrian Peterson. I don't care what the numbers say, the 49ers are a pretty good football team. They are going to keep this game close and Peterson in check like they did back in 2007, when AP managed a whopping three yards on fourteen carries.

Atlanta (+4) at New England

Yeah, umm, the Patriots simply are not the same football team they have been in the past. Too man guys gone due to retirement, injury, trades, etc. The O-line is significantly worse than previous years, and Brady is understandably hesitant to put a ton of weight into his front leg when delivering a pass. Atlanta is also a surprisingly good team, and I think they're going to come into Foxborough/Gilette Stadium and win on Sunday.

Chicago (-2.5) at Seattle

With Matt Hasselbeck's health possibly keeping him out of this game, there is no way that Seattle wins, even if they have the home field advantage. Jay Cutler, as whiny as he may be, can lead a team to victories if need be. I think this will be a blowout win for the Bears.

New Orleans (-6) at Buffalo

The Bills beat the hapless Buccaneers last week, so I don't think any higher of them. New Orleans is one of the three best teams in the league right now. Remember what Tom Brady did to the Bills in the final five minutes on Monday night opening week? The Saints passing attack is better than the Patriots. Expect a LONG day for the Bills secondary.

Miami (+6) at San Diego

Miami could not have executed its game plan on Monday any better than it did. The only flaw was that Peyton Manning plays on the Colts. Philip Rivers is not Peyton Manning. He's not even close. I think the Dolphins come out fired up again and get their first W of the year.

Pittsburgh (-4) at Cincinnati

I toggled back and forth with this pick. Cincinnati is a decent football team. Pittsburgh can't run the ball, and Leon Hall is a phenomenal cover guy for the Bengals, so the Steelers passing attack versus the Bengals pass defense could be a key battle. The big problem for the Bengals, in my opinion, will be moving the ball on offense. Cedric Benson won't run as easily as he did in the first two weeks, so it'll be interesting to see how they get up and down the field.

Denver (-1.5) at Oakland

I recieved this letter from Josh McDaniels the other day:

"Dear Brian,

Your idiotic remark about us in Week 1 of this competition is now buletin board material in our locker room. Every day our players run on to the field thinking about proving you wrong. So far, the scoreboard is: Broncos 2-Brian 0. What do you have to say about that?

Go F Yourself,

Josh McDaniels"

Intriguing. I should probably point out that I was wrong twice, and you were right. I should also point out that one of your games was against the Browns, who are legitimately sucky, and I should have picked you. So here you go, Mr. McDaniels, I am aboard the Broncos train. Take me to the Promised Land, or trade me the F to Chicago where Jay Cutler and I can say mean things about you behind your back.

Indianapolis (+2.5) at Arizona

Peyton Manning is clutch, especially on national television. He's going to shred the Cardinals pass defense. Expect Dwight Freeney to hit Kurt Warner a few times and ring the old man's bell. Don't expect Kurt Warner to blame the Cardinals' loss on God though, since God gets credit for the Ws and no blame for the losses...sounds like a job I want.

Carolina (+9) at Dallas

For the second straight week, the Cowboys get to display their magnificent abode to the nation. For the second straight week, they're not going to cover. Carolina (and Jake Delhomme) looked astronomically better last week, while Tony Romo was less than spectacular. I just see a close game again.

So there you have it. I went 9-7 again last week, bringing my overall record to 18-14.

Last Week: Brian (9-7), Sarah (7-9)
Overall: Brian (18-14), Sarah (16-16)

No comments:

Post a Comment