Saturday, September 12, 2009

Poor Ending

This blog was going to be devoted to how Serena Williams had transitioned to my second least favorite persona in women's tennis because Pam Shriver's antics at the US Open have just disgusted me, but now I am going to write about what just transpired that has Kim Clijsters one win away from a miraculous run to a US Open title after taking two years off to start a family.

I missed the first set and a half, picking it up where Kim Clijsters had a 6-4, 4-3 lead with Serena serving. Both held serve until it was 6-5 Clijsters (kudos to Serena for holding her serve at 4-5 to prolong the match). Three points were played in the twelfth game of the set, with Clijsters getting to 15-30 and just two points from the match. That's when all hell broke loose.

Serena's first serve missed, and then her second serve began one of the most controversial endings to a sporting event I have ever seen. She was called for a foot fault. Video replay does not confirm that there was a foot fault, which sent the announcers in an uproar, but a very minor outburst to what Serena displayed. She went completely off the deep end, going on a swearing tirade that was clearly directed at the official who made the call on her. Doing what is required of her as a referee, Serena's victim then reported what was said to her to the chair umpire, which sent Serena into another craze. When the tournament director came out, Serena's two incidents, combined with her previous warning for smashing her racquet, resulted in her incurring a penalty, which is the loss of the next point. Considering that the double fault put the score at 15-40 (double match point for Clijsters), the match was over, with Clijsters advancing and Serena going home. A few reactions I have to this:

First, the lineswoman was correct in her actions once Serena started swearing at her. She is supposed to report any behavior like that to the chairperson. The penalty handed down was deserved. The real question lies in whether or not the foot fault should have been called in the first place. I know that rules are rules and that they should apply to the game the same from start to finish, but that's not the case. I personally like to see the referees get less and less involved in the latter stages and let the players duke thinks out. Of course I don't want players to be allowed to get away with murder, but I hate seeing games decided by nit-picking refs (please NHL, stop calling penalties at such an alarming rate in your playoff OT games). Especially since it wasn't blatant, the foot fault shouldn't be called there.

Second, I feel AWFUL for Clijsters. Serena came across to Clijsters' side of the court to shake her hand, and you could see the anguish in her face. I can't read lips, but it almost seems like she was saying, "I'm sorry, that's not the way I wanted it to end." She played a great match and was supposedly the better ball striker this evening, but her great play and victory will be undermined by the way it came to fruition. I wish her best of luck in the finals against Caroline Wozniacki, since it'd be an amazing story.

I'm sure I will update the blog once videos and more information is available, but I wanted to share my initial thoughts immediately after it happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment