Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Spread Picking Competition: Week 2

Ahh, one week is in the books and we know a bit more about the teams. The Colts looked less impressive than I expected. The Jets looked better than I thought they would be. The Rams, Lions, Broncos, and Bengals were who we thought they were. Alas, I should be a little better prepared to make these picks. First of all, a recap from last week:

I went 9-7. I picked nine of the first eleven games I had listed correctly, before going absolutely cold. The afternoon and Sunday and Monday night games were NOT kind to me. Aside from getting the 49ers-Cardinals game correct, I missed the Giants (won by 6, spread was 6.5), I don't want to talk about the Rams, Aaron Rodgers beat me with a late TD pass, and the Chargers and Pats struggled to beat crappy opponents and neither came close to covering. If you read the first week, you know this is a competition between myself and my girlfriend Sarah, whose blog can be found here. She also went 9-7, although her picks were different from mine, which goes to show you, it doesn't matter how you pick them, you can't be very successful. Anyway, on to this week's picks, lines taken from here (my picks are in bold):

Oakland (+3) at Kansas City

If you didn't see what I had to say about the Chiefs after their dismal performance last week, either scroll down to the next entry or click here. They just aren't very good, and the Raiders actually showed some promise.

Houston at Tennessee (-6.5)

Tennessee won't be happy after losing a nail biter to Pittsburgh, especially when Rob Bironas missed two field goals in regulation. Houston's offense sputtered at home against the Jets, and I think the Titans' defensive unit is stronger, plus the Texans don't play well on the road.

New England at New York Jets (+3.5)

This one is strictly done because I am a Jets fan and Sarah is a Pats fan. Also, the Jets looked good enough to merit me picking them. Their defense was stout and the offense is very solid, which works when the Patriots defense is terrible.

New Update: Apparently the Patriots only serviceable middle linebacker, Jerrod Mayo, is out 6-8 weeks with an MCL sprain. No Bruschi, no Vrabel, no Seymour, and no Mayo. Since Eric Mangold is a man at center, he should be able to contain Vince Wolfork well enough for the Jets RBs to get to the second level, where last year's starters (aside from Adalius Thomas) are all gone. I'm liking this pick even more now.

Cincinnati at Green Bay (-9)

The Packers defense looked great, and the Bungles couldn't move the ball on the hapless Broncos. Plus Green Bay gets to play at Lambeau.

Minnesota (-9.5) at Detroit

Let me break it down for you. It's this versus this.

New Orleans (+1.5) at Philadelphia

Donovan McNabb is hurt and most likely not playing. Drew Brees is really, really good. Drew Brees is not Jake Delhomme, meaning that the Eagles defense will not put up a similar effort to the one they had on Sunday (which nearly cost me a fantasy matchup). The Saints play just enough defense to win.

Carolina at Atlanta (-6)

Jake Delhomme has 11 turnovers in his last two non-preseason games. Jake Delhomme plays for the Panthers. The Panthers play in Carolina.

St. Louis at Washington (-9.5)

Until the Rams can score I won't pick them, especially since it burned me last week.

Arizona (+3) at Jacksonville

I know I said Arizona sucks, but this is my random road team covering pick.

Seattle at San Francisco (-1.5)

The 49ers respond to Mike Singletary because the players fear playing with ten players and getting penalized all the way and he wants winners (his opinion on losers couldn't be found). Also, Seattle on the road means it has no home-field advantage. Seriously, that is some sagacious stuff from me right there. The home-field advantage is important to them, that's what I was getting at.

Tampa Bay (+4.5) at Buffalo

Buffalo finds a way to lose games. At least they don't have to play on Monday Night Football again.

Cleveland (+3) at Denver

Both teams are awful. I have a feeling Denver would be an underdog in this game if not for their miracle Week 1 win.

Baltimore (+3) at San Diego

The offense looked great and will run all over San Diego. Plus Tomlinson is already hurt.

Pittsburgh (-3) at Chicago

Both teams are missing a defensive stud (Hair Polamalu for the Steelers and Brian Urlacher for the Bears). The Steelers prevail in this honor du-el since they can make up for the loss of Polamalu and will bait Cutler into throwing a few more INTs.

New York Giants at Dallas (-3)

Dallas has beaten the Giants four of the past six times in Big D, and they do it again behind Tony Romo's right arm.

Indianapolis (-3) at Miami

Yes, Miami gets the home crowd on Monday Night. I just don't think they're a very good team. I went with Indy last week at home and lost, but I think Peyton Manning lights up the Dolphins secondary and leaves Miami in an 0-2 hole and two games behind the division leader after the Pats and Jets tangle.

Hopefully I have a better week this time around.

Last Week: 9-7
Overall: 9-7

No comments:

Post a Comment